Sunday, April 01, 2007

April Fools...

I haven't been Fooled by anyone on April Fools day in a long long time. I think the last time I remember any deviant behavior on April Fools was at BHS when we played a trick on our favorite Calculus Teacher, Mrs. Hall. I don't even remember what the trick was, but I just remember the image of Mrs. Hall holding her face with her chalky hands and smudging chalk that was already all over her clothes, onto her face & hair.

Anyway, today, on April 1st, my brother gives me a call and tells me that he received a phone call from a representative of the Medical School I will soon be attending. I acted pretty calm, because I did put down my brother as a reference. So, it wouldn't be too unexpected if he received a phone call or contact from Ross U. Then, my big brother tells me this crazy story that since he attended St. George's University (Ross University's rival--if you didn't know, they're the top two schools in the Caribbean), my file would have to be re-evaluated, and my acceptance may possibly be revoked. I would have to re-apply for the next term.

What? Unbelievable. Come on, Pshhhh.

Then I ask him, did they call over the weekend? He says, no, on Friday. I should have realized it then. If he really did receive a call like that, he wouldn' t have waited the whole weekend. He would have called me up immediately after hanging up. Shoot, I would have wanted him to put that Rep on hold, and 3-way'ed that crazy conversation.

Anyway, he suggests I contact my advisor and inquire after the matter.

All the while, inside I begin to sweat, even though I'm trying to play it cool on the phone (not) Oh, it must be a prank call, Adnan. I'll call my advisor tomorrow, and look into it. Shit, I just got through telling everyone here in ATL that I'll be leaving for school, and for them to feel the mehsoos of my absence. haha. We even already attended a "good-bye" dinner at a friend's place. Now what? Even if I wasn't going to school, now I'd have to go away for awhile, just to keep the momentum going. I was beginning to hear the best things about me! Talk about Narcissistic behavior. Leaving a place "for good" is a real confidence & self-esteem booster. Who would have thought? Plus, I love hearing good things about me, and my loved ones. I just glow-t. haha. Yes, that was a pun-ny attempt.

Anyway, within a minute and a half, I hear giggles from Bhabi (through the speaker phone..or other headset) an a big, "April Fool's!"

Golly jee. They got me good.

4 comments:

M. Rafiq said...

you crack me up. hey lulu, hasnain bhai might be on his way to the airport as we speak... (wink, wink)

Alex said...

Congratulations Lulua for your decision. It's great! We definitely need more doctors to take care of people. Where in the carribbean are you going?
Let us know how everything is going there.
We wish you the best for you and Hasnain. You're going to be missed.
Take care!

Liddlelulu said...

Marya,

Well, he just might be on his way, in two days, now. Count down begins. Yay.

Alex,
Thanks, I'll be heading out to the island "Commonwealth of Dominica" not to be confused with Dominican Republic.

Oh and not to worry, I will definitely stay in touch. Of course!

M. Rafiq said...

You're taking off work on friday, right? We'll all be there bright and early on friday morning... so if you haven't taken off for that day yet, call in sick!!! Muah. Can't wait to see you.