Thursday, September 21, 2006

Can I keep it?



Ooh, I love it. I sometimes get into these crazy artsy fartsy moods, and go all out on these "projects," half of which I finish 6 months to some years later. I still haven't finished a Masallo I started about 2 years ago.

Anyway, Yoko & I got charged up to do some sewing projects. I really wanted a cover for my sofa, so I thought, Baby steps; let's start small, like with a pillow cover or something. We dropped in on a store, and figured we'd make something for a friend, for fun. We ended up splitting the cost for 2 different patterns. One for pillows (that go on chairs) and one for hand bags. I took the latter home, and she the former. Six to seven months later, I finally finished the project, while Yoko's out at CMU making new friends, I'm getting to know my sewing machine better and paypal, need I say more, is my Buddy. I've been buying threads (embroidery & regular) off ebay like crazy.

Anyway, after I finished the hand bag, or, when I noticed I might actually be able to finish this sucker before I lose interest again, I thought to myself (and said aloud to Hasnain), "Can I keep it?" I know, I know, I intended the hand bag, purse, duffle purse, as I like to call it, for Emily, or M for short, really short. She's a crazy fun friend from Cali. But, I fell in love with my own flawed, thread-hanging, duffle purse. Ugh! I want it!

Some may say, "Well, if you like it that much, make another one." Yeah, right! Like that's going to happen. I've always been able to do things ONCE in a spectacular way. Every time I try to replicate something that I've done well, it's always been less than nice. People may expect it, I even do, but whatever it is, from a calendar collage, to a wedding album, to a scrapbook, to a masallo w/sujni, once & that's it. Anyway, I think I might make a pillow out of that combination of colors though. I think that would be fun for college bound kids. Yay, B-day present.

I guess my question is, when you walk out of the mall with the perfect gift, and you think for a split second, Wow, that would look great on my side table, hmmm. Can you, are you allowed to modify your niyyat? your intention? Isn't that contrary to the meaning of intention? Your primary purpose for whatever action you are going to perform (or performed)?

Not to worry, the duffle purse is already in a manila envelope on it's way over to the Golden State. Ain't that Peachy? (If you didn't already know, Georgia is the Peach State).

Next time you pick up or plan to give someone something, make clear in writing what your intentions are. I'm telling you, for people with a "not so strong" will-power, it's for the best!

(Marya, I know you'll have some comment about me giving you stuff that I ended up keeping, yes yes, I can name a few... no need to elaborate. You know what, go ahead, elaborate, "swim in it, until your fingers get all pruny"--French Kiss, hahaha)

6 comments:

Liddlelulu said...

How much do you think something like this could sell for?

Anonymous said...

Lulua, this is a really nice bag! I can't believe you sew it. Good Job! When are you mailing mine;-) just kidding hehehe

M. Rafiq said...

Hello!!!! I want one too!!!! COME on! That is way cute. infact could you make me a tote bag instead. I would make more use of it!!! Ok, im waiting.... :P

M. Rafiq said...

I didn't even read the whole blog before i commented, because I saw it, and was like..."oooo, I want one too!!!" But yeh, pfsssh. I can name many a "presents" you made for..."me"...

Liddlelulu said...

Zainab,
Marya already mentioned the tote bag, but I was already planning on making you one of those since you loved my OPA tote so much (it was going to be your b-day present for next year!) We'll see if I still remember then. But for now, I guess I could start a business. I'll be taking orders..

Marya,
Let's start with yours... What colors? Send me samples dahling. haha.

Don't worry everyone, you'll all get your share, sooner or later, *ehem* maybe.

But let me know seriously, if you want one! It'll be my evening projects!

M. Rafiq said...

I really DO want to ride in a hot air balloon!!