Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Books to Read

I have created a list of books that I am going to read. As I read them, I am going to comment on them (somewhat intellectually) and document that, check, they have been read.

Now, keep in mind, I am writing about the content. I have not done this type of activity for about 5 years now. When you attend a technical school you lose the ability to articulate, and you just learn to grunt work. So, hopefully there will be some improvement.

The Pink titles indicate I am currently reading those books. Once I've completed the books, I will give an indication that it has been read, the title will be highlighted Green.

Here's the list:

  • The War of Worlds by H. G. Wells
  • The Dante Club
  • The World According to Garp
  • Sir Gawain & the green knight
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
  • Ivanhoe
  • Journey to the center of the earth
  • The three muskateers
  • The astonishing hypothesis
  • Odyssey
  • Who's afraid of Virginia Wolff
  • Beyond Einstein
  • Hyperspace
  • Godel Escher Bach: An Eternal golden Braid
  • The western Canon
  • Lost Horizon
  • The Giver By Lois Lowry
  • Hold my Gold
  • Paradise By Judith McNaught
  • A Fine Balance
  • Mountain Beyond Mountains "The life of Paul Farmer" by Tracy Kidder
  • The Razors Edge
  • Kartography = kamila shamsie
  • Moth Smoke
  • Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

5 comments:

M. Rafiq said...

Here's a few more:
James and the Giant Peach
The Princess Bride
The Black Book

Those are some I want to read.. I've read JATGP, but I want to re-read it. :)

Liddlelulu said...

Yeah, I just read it recently (uh about 2 years ago) I saw it in my room, and I thought, yay! It took me about 3 months to read those 30 pages. hahah. I think when I was younger the book seemed more imaginative. Or at least, maybe I threw in more imaginary details when I read it, now it seemed pretty boring. Nothing spectacular. I think, as we grow, if we don't keep the mind creatively active, we lose the ability to "fill in the blanks." At least that's what I experienced.

Here's an exercise, try telling a 2 year old a bed time story. That's the absolute hardest thing for me to do! I need the book to help me along. Isn't that sad!

M. Rafiq said...

It's not "Alice in the wonderland!" FOB!
It's "Alice's adventures in wonderland"
What are we going to do with you?
:p

Liddlelulu said...

Editing, done! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Definitely get to Moth Smoke ASAP!
Also, I think you'd like:
Holder of the World -
Bharati Mukherjee
Pillars of Salt - Fadia Faqir
The Joys of Motherhood - Buchi Emecheta
The Color Purple - Alice Walker