Friday, July 21, 2006

Out with the new, In with the Old

This is a memory.

Last year, Hasnain & I, and thousands of other mumineen visited Fremont, CA, in the hopes of being in the hazrat of Maulana. As with all trips in Maula's presence, there is a bit more socializing than there is internalizing. I don't know why that occurs, but I think that's in our nature, Bohri nature, and will hopefully be addressed in the future, if reason and time permits (doesn't that sound sabaq-friendly?).

We, all of us, as usual visited the time-honored locations near Fremont, no unfortunately, we didn't hit up the Hotelwala's this time. Instead we got caught up in the X-mi/hr winds at the Golden Gate Bridge for the 300th time, just in case we forgot what the slicing winds felt like on our porous skin (desmosome junctions).

Oh yes, I forgot. The prequel. So it all began, when the Hasnain brought the Double Club to Bako, on their way to SF, had breakfast (eggs, lots of left over meat, and more meat) and we all met up again at the SF airport to receive Maula. I had driven from Bakersfield with Ma & Marya. This leads me straight into my point of even writing this blog (finally!) : Glasses.

It was a bright sunny day with the rays beating onto the tinted windows of the notorious, yet renown black car. I slipped my fingers into the conveniently located driver side door compartment (pocket thingy), and lo-and-behold, I found something so incredibly useful, and functional for the time being, sun-glasses. Yay.

I chuckled my Lulu chuckle and slid on the Top Gun Ray-Ban glasses in a "I'm a James Bond wanna-be kinda gal." But instead the whole scene ended up me looking like one of the officers from "Reno 911" Yeah. Completely out of fad.

After getting really comfortable with them falling off my face because they were really just too big, but enjoying the fact that absolutely NO sunlight was scorching my eyes from any direction foveal or peripheral, I was really getting to likin' them.

We reached safely at the airport in SF, and Marya threatened that she'd not walk near, around, or KNOW me if I was to continue wearing them. Hey, these were the first pair of glasses I actually began to like wearing. Who cares if I thought I was part of the Highway Patrol. Shoot, I'll join the Super Troopers, if I get to wear these!

Anyway, I opted to not wear them when in familiar, recognizable public. I was definitely cognizant (remember that word from Mufaddal's speal at the Masjid?) of the fact that these were people who knew me, my family, and my ridiculous reputation of being simply goofy. Did I really want to solidify that into fact? No. So, I tucked them into my ridah pocket, like my keys, and walked head on.

After we walked back to the parking lot, I attempted the unreal, or how about we put it, surreal. I pretended that no one noticed me with the Ray-bans on AGAIN, and went about my day, in a darkly tinted van with children under 2 years of age in car seats surrounding me left and right with my darkly tinted glasses on. I was a mad rapper in da house (er, Previa more like it.) Yes, back with the Double Club again and their naughty, rotty, and definitely snotty kids. Aren't they adorable?

So, Hasnain & I eventually split up into a smaller car with some friends' family from SC (no not USC.. but South Carolina. ) They were a blast, and they really didn't pay much attention to MY new fad, Mrs. Ray-ban on the prowl. So, we walked about, and of course hit up the GG Bridge again, during the day. Spot light. This time, not just the ridah, but I had a double whammy---rayban girl. The feeling was superhuman. Elasti-girl, invisi-girl, Rayban-girl (Rabbi-girl wouldn't have done so well.)

I was piercing through the crowd, like no other (literally) , and was paying attention mostly to human behavior--as usual. I'm a freak like that. Psycho about psychology.

Did they look at my attire? or my face? Did they think I was funny, weird, or just a Disney character coming out of the forest? Oh, that's another memory, I have got to mention later also...Note to You guys, Remind me: Disneyland Trip after brother's engagement in 2000.

Anyway, all this commentary on one little picture. I have to give it up to Hasnain. He was wonderful. Like letting a little artistic person loose and letting me enjoy the fun for a bit. Okay, there was nothing artistic about it, but it sure was super-fun. Who knew a pair of sunglasses could enable such a(n) hyper experience. We had to get a photo of it (see above).

No comments: