Friday, July 20, 2007

Uprooted



Do you ever feel like you've been taken out of your original surroundings and thrust in a new environment? People expecting you to just flow into the soil, and smooth out the bumps naturally?

I started this post a long long time ago, and I really don't know where I was going with this, but I guess I can continue it with a different perspective on having come to Dominica. Although I am in a different land, of different people, I am actually completely surrounded by my peeps; that is, people of MY homeland. Not only is everyone from North America, their roots are predominantly desi too. haha. Go figure. So, not only do I mix with the Amreecan crowd, understanding (for the most part) the american culture, ethics, language, & idioms, I also am amongst people who call each other's friends' parents Aunties & Uncles, and who know who Abhisheikh Bachchan is and what the best "Indi Hindi" films are currently out there (not that we actually sit and watch them here--most people are content with episodes of The Office, or Entourage.)

Anyway, between the americans (all cultures included) who get drunk out of their minds at the post-mini (major exam!) party, and the muslims who gather and do their non-partying partying and the guys who just play basketball until 4 am, I really wonder what I'm part of. I go and enjoy laughing at the americans those getting drunk beyond belief, and hang with the dudes while they play a little ball, but at the same time, I don't mind just hanging chill for a night, at the non-party party, or where we all just lay on the pier and stare at the stars all night--honest to God Dominica has the best night sky I've seen since Punjab in Pakistan Summer of 95, or Yemen (even though we were too pooped to stay up later than 10pm) in summer of 99, just relaxing.

I guess, we, those of us raised in the west but who hold a good chunk of the eastern roots, we must have created a mutation in the gene. A new allele in the generally F1 generation. What will be the marker, that microsatellite, used to distinguish whether those in the F2 will have this allele? Will it be passed on genetically? Hardly. Undoubtedly, we'll have to do what the parental generation did, buy us McDonalds after our dentist appointments and bribe us.

P.S. If you're wondering where this picture is from, it's from a camping trip about an hour away from Atlanta. Yes I took it.

2 comments:

M. Rafiq said...

Since when did you start vlogging more often than me?? What? Are we in some sort of alternate universe?

I love how your being an American Desi is SO on your mind- ALL the time. :)


And please stop refering to "American" as "Amreecan." :P

M. Rafiq said...

*blogging. not "vlogging."