Sunday, March 25, 2007

Bangali

Did I tell you that Hasnain & I finally made a decision, I'll be heading out to the Caribbean for a year and a half for Medical School. Yup, I'm going. I'm heading out end of April, and am as excited a bunny. Those little furry suckers have a lot of energy under their fur.

Since I'll be gone for about a year and a half, and since Hasnain probably won't be in Atlanta for very much longer, this means I have to say my good-byes to EVERYONE here. SO, we decided to do all the things we said we'd do, but haven't done yet, now. We have four weekends, and everyone one of them is going to be packed with adventure. Okay, maybe not adventure, but loads of people.

So, we decided to invite some people over for dinner yesterday.

1-One couple is our very next door neighbor, who are Bangladeshi, whom we've barely spoken to except if we both happen to be entering/exiting our vehicles at the exact same time, nice, fun people. The husband is a CS PhD student at Tech, just like Hasnain, but for a different Prof.

2-Our other neighbor who lives one floor above and two doors to the left of us, is a lebanise physician doing his residency in ATL, cool guy. He handed us front row basketball tickets once for a game that had started 5 minutes ago, and we took it. The game was lame, unfortunately the Hawks suck, but it was a cool experience sitting behind the sports casters, and the coach and teammates. Having their sweat splash on you.

3- A Pakistani friend and his mom, since we'd never invited her, we thought what the hell, why not. This did add some pressure, she is an Aunty afterall, but she's was cool.

4-Hasnain's labmate, her husband and 2.5 year old child, Anova, too Cute! They're bangladeshi as well, and happen to be friends of our next door bangladeshi neighbors.

The night before I did nothing except lounge around, pick up the chicken breast, and confirm what it was I was going to be cooking, so that meant indulging in Rachel Ray's cook book!..Foodnetwork.

I had actually written this a long long time ago (2 weeks ago) and I already forgot what the point of it was, but it was a fun night, where we got to meet some really down to earth, funny bangladeshis..

Oh and, you pronounce the language as Bangali, like bun-gaal-i, not ben-gaal-i.

English mein kehthe hain ke I love you,
Gujrati mein kehte hain, mein tamne prem karu choon,
Bangali mein kehte hain, ami tamalo bhalo bashi,
aur punjabi mein kehte hain, teri to, mein tere marjavan, something someting something .. teri.

Yes, and we did some singing of course. Food was good. Company was great. And overall the night was a success.

Thanks nazrul maqam, you is the best.

1 comment:

M. Rafiq said...

"mein tamne prem karu chu" sounds so weird. I was just thinking how would one say "I love you" in LD...hahaha. I think I'll just stick with english...